Lawyer claiming to represent parents of Georgia football player Devin Willock holds press conference

A press conference called by a personal injury law firm for Thursday that was to include the parents of Georgia football player Devin Willock was pushed back and then held without them.

The offensive lineman was killed in a crash early Sunday along with Georgia recruiting staffer Chandler LeCroy in Athens.

Managing partner Roy T. Willey IV spoke outside the Athens-Clarke County Courthouse at a podium with a “Go Big Injury Lawyers,” sign that was affixed to it.

He said he is representing Willock’s parents, Dave and Sharlene Willock.

'width' : 300, 'params' : {} }; document.write('');

Dave Willock told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution he only learned of the press conference from seeing it on the news and that he does not plan any legal action at this time.

'height' : 90, 'width' : 728, 'params' : {} }; document.write('');

“No, Georgia is working with us,” the father said. “We have no reason to do that because they are compensating us 100 percent.”

A message left for Dave Willock Thursday was not returned.

“Devin’s parents are understandably grieving having seen his body for the first time yesterday and having received updates today on the investigation,” Willey said.

Attorney Roy T. Willey IV of Go Big Injury Lawyers speaks to the media about the on going investigation into the deaths of Devin Willock and Chandler LeCroy in front of the Athens-Clarke County court house in downtown Athens, Ga., on Thursday, Jan. 19, 2023.

A press release Wednesday said that Willey and members of the legal team would be discussing the details of the accident investigation and the legal actions, but no legal actions were detailed.

Willey walked away from reporters after speaking for more than five minutes and declined to answer questions when asked.

He said he had been talking with Willock’s family and was in meetings earlier in the day. He read a statement he said was from the family thanking the football community and saying they wanted the public to know that Devin was “more than just a football player, he was a trusted friend, a supportive and loving brother, a dedicated student and a loving son.”

WHAT WE KNOW: The latest on the crash that killed Georgia player and staffer

Willey thanked coach Kirby Smart and staff for supporting the family and Georgia general counsel Michael Raeber who he said he met with earlier Wednesday. He also thanked Athens Clarke County Sherriff John Q. Williams and the Athens-Clarke County police department leaders who met to provide to them a report on the investigation.

The crash occurred after Georgia football celebrated back-to-back national championship Saturday with a parade and stadium event.

LeCroy, 24, was driving a rental car, but it’s not clear who rented the vehicle.

Georgia athletics declined to comment Thursday when asked by the Athens Banner-Herald if the department rented the vehicle and if LeCroy was on duty in her role with the football staff when she was driving, but provided a statement.

“Our primary focus remains on providing comfort and support to the families and friends of Devin, Chandler, and the two others who were injured, as well as everyone impacted by this tragedy,” it said. “Out of respect for the individuals and their families, we will not comment further at this time on the accident or the ongoing investigation.”

The crash occurred at about 2:45 a.m. Barnett Shoals Drive.  The 2021 Ford Expedition struck a curb, then hit a Georgia Power pole and another utility pole.

The crash report released by the Athens-Clarke County police said excessive speed was a contributing factor.

Willock, 20, who started two games on the offensive line last season, was a third-year player from New Milford New Jersey.

Willock was in the rear passenger seat sitting on the driver’s side without a seat belt on when he was ejected from the vehicle in the crash.

Two others from the football program sustained injuries.

Offensive lineman Warren McClendon, 21, who declared for the NFL draft on Saturday, was in the front passenger seat and wearing a seat belt. He needed stitches on his forehead, his father said.

Recruiting staffer Tory Bowles, 26, was taken to the hospital with serious injuries.

A toxicology report isn’t expected for weeks.

Willey said a memorial service and funeral for Willock will be held next week.

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Devin Willock parents lawyer discusses Georgia football player’s death

Leave a Comment